Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Peter Pan Forever

21....the age of freedom and adulthood. Gag! Who wants to grow up? There is no fun in acting like an adult and crushing your childhood dreams. Those never go away. If you ask most any of my friends they will tell you one of my top movies is Peter Pan. It's not because of the pirates, flying, and swordplay (though those are great bonuses), but because you don't have to grow up. Not only that but when Wendy realizes that it is time for her to leave the nursery, she still believes. She doesn't let her inner-child sense of belief leave her as she learns to mature. You can still have fun, still act silly, and still drink kool-aid as a government recognized adult! :) 

So that's what I did. For my "birthday week" I had the absolute most fun by doing the random-est activities most all spontaneous. While most 21 year-olds in a college town spend the week getting all their illegal drinking in then going out with a bang on the birthday or gambling all their money away, I spent an afternoon playing in a fountain with friends like we were 5, going to a baseball game and losing our way back, having my first surprise birthday party, staying up until the wee hours of the morning chatting with girlfriends and watching chick-flicks like we were in junior high and at the stroke of midnight on my birthday driving to the next time zone to celebrate all over again.

This is how I want to celebrate being 21. Enjoying life as much as I can. Not letting the standards of the world worry me about what is expected of me.  Just because I am now 21 does not mean I have to grow up, does not mean I don't believe, or that I can't have fun. 21 is going to be the best year that I can make it. So join me on this roadtrip as I live the life at 21, and see all the adventures that only I can have!

No comments:

Post a Comment